Finding how to worship everywhere and every way

Friday, August 22, 2014

Arrival at My New Home

As I have mentioned on numerous previous occasions, I originally had the idea of creating a blog in order to journal my college experience. I created quite early. Now, I am glad to announce, the time is here! I arrived on campus here at Taylor University today, and this is what I did.

The first order of business was carrying all my stuff, in large and heavy bags, up a flight of stairs to my room. This was accomplished with ample help from my father. After unpacking a little bit and "Facetiming" my mom, dad headed back home and I was on my own.

I didn't have anything going on till dinner at 5 Indiana time, so I set about setting up my dorm room. I have a really fantastic setup (TU peeps: come say hi!). My room is very large and there are only 2 people in it (my dorm, Bergwall, usually has 3), so all in all it is quite spacious. I have plenty of space in which to store/display my various instruments, currently including 2 guitars (Thor and Little Thor, christened by my dad), a banjo, a "Jingling Johnny" (see previous blog posts), and a harmonica.

I am currently sitting and typing at my desk, situated strategically at an outlet so I can dial in all sorts of gadgets into my surge protector. Add sheets to the bed, dry-erase calendar to the wall, and clothes to the closet, and my room is pretty much set.

Anyway, around 5 P.M. I headed down to dinner with my roommate Jacob Bernard and his parents for dinner, where we were joined by our floor PAs (Personel Assistants) and our floor DA (Discipleship Assistant). From there, we wandered around our floor a little bit, I whipped out some card tricks, and Jacob, myself, and my boy Trayvon headed to our "Dedication Service" at 7.

I am going to continue in my general trend of shooting very straight here and say that this Service was boooring. It was rather exciting to be gathering as a body and committing to the Life Together Covenant, but after the 6th or 7th person detailing how excited yet frightened I was supposed to be, I was ready to check out.

Eventually all the freshman from my dorm gathered and met our Hall Director, later splitting off by floors and meeting with our PAs/RAs. Then we waited in the Berg lobby, making friends and generally socializing, waiting for the members of our sister floor to swing by in order to participate in an activity that was, at that time, a secret.

This secret event was the "Awk Walk." You probably have a good idea of how this went down. Each guy had to walk beside a randomly selected girl, occasionally switching partners, being given odd walking instructions, or discussing prompted questions. It was all very good fun (really).

After the Awk Walk we headed back to Berg, watched a little Top Gear, and here I am blogging before I go to bed. Looking forward for many great days to come!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment