Finding how to worship everywhere and every way

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Why I Love Rend Collective Experiment

I have the best friends ever. On Sunday, for my birthday, they gave me tickets to see my favorite band in the world, Rend Collective Experiment this Friday. Since that is all I am probably going to think about this week, I thought I would blog about it! I'll tell all you lucky folks why I love Rend Collective Experiment...

BUT FIRST, the story of how I discovered them! This takes place during the summer of 2013. Having spent a large amount of time in the car previously, driving to and fro all over the place, I spent a long time listening to the radio. Now, I generally try to avoid listening to the radio at all costs, but when my car only plays cassettes and I'm still too lazy to get one of those adapter things, I gotta do what I gotta do. 

So, I had listened to the radio, and I had heard Rend Collective's radio single "Build Your Kingdom Here" multiple times. Eventually, I was listening to this song, and I was like, "Hey! This is actually a good song!" (unlike most of what's played on the radio). I decided I would look up this mysterious new band, as I had come to the realization that "Build Your Kingdom Here" was profound, super singable, and really really fun.

Long story short, I looked up the band, fell in love with them, and bought every song they had ever produced all within a space about three hours. (Just so you know, "every song they had ever produced" is a total of 3 albums: "Organic Family Hymnal", "Homemade Worship by Handmade People",  and "Campfire".) I started playing their songs ASAP, and to this day I play Rend Collective all. the. time. All the time. So, back to my original question: why do I love Rend Collective Experiment? Let me count the ways...

Who are they? They are called a "Collective" because, on any given song, they have approximately seven hundred people playing at the same time. There are five core members, the ones who tour in the USA and elsewhere, but they have a number of other friends and members back home in Ireland. Apparently, any time they jam out, they cram as many people as possible into the smallest space they can find. They are called an "Experiment" because, they also cram as many weird instruments as possible into any given song. The overall effect is a rather Irish-folky, we-found-this-instrument-in-Turkey-and-thought-it-was-cool sound.

Why do I love them? Firstly, they are FUN! Unlike the large majority of worship artists that don't sound musically interesting, Rend Collective is endlessly fascinating, musically speaking. They would be worth listening to if their songs were in another language, which I can't say about many worship bands (another notable exception is the late David Crowder*Band). Not only do they sound great, their songs are very unique, profound, and well-written. They write songs to which I respond, "wow, I haven't heard a song say this before". Later on this blog, I'll be sure to talk about specific songs and what I love about them... stay tuned for that.

Rend Collective very clearly has fun doing what they do. Worship is celebration! They'll tell you, "we're a celebration band!" Just watch one of their music videos to see what I mean- in other related news, they make the BEST music videos ever! I've got some links on the Videos page, don't miss those.

Rend Collective Experiment is my favorite band of all time. They are musically fascinating and talented, they write unique and inspiring songs, and they are SO FUN to play, listen to, and watch. Go check them out! They have a new album releasing on Saint Patrick's Day (they're Irish.... what can I say) called "The Art of Celebration." Get pumped!



P.S: Shameless Commercial: If you want to buy one and only one of their albums, get Campfire. It is a "best-of," recorded live and acoustic around a literal campfire. Also, it's only eight bucks. What's not to love? Go get it!

All that I am is dry bones without You, Lord: a desert soul
I am broken but running towards You, God: you make me whole

No comments:

Post a Comment