Finding how to worship everywhere and every way

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

"Give Me Faith"

Let's talk about another song! Same band. YES, I'm on an Elevation Worship kick. If you haven't Spotify'd them yet (as I suggested in my last post- I think I just invented a word), you are missing out. Anyway, I'm going to introduce to one of my favorite songs that I've discovered recently, "Give Me Faith." There's a video at the end of the post if you have not heard this one (we played it 2 Sundays ago).

The bridge of this song is my absolute favorite part, one that puts into words a prayer I've offered up to God many times before, perhaps with less eloquence and/or EGs. However it's not one of those deals where you have to suffer through 3/4ths of a mediocre song to get a sweet bridge- it's an all in all good song, the bridge is just the best part.

The verses and chorus share the request from which the song gets its title: "Give me faith to trust what You say". It's nice and singable, with themes of surrender ("all I am I surrender"), recognition of our status ("I'm broken inside"), and acknowledgement of our deep need for God and his guidance ("I need you to open my eyes").

The bridge, which the live performance I linked below begins with, goes thus:

I may be weak, but Your Spirit's strong in me
My flesh may fail, but my God You never will

It's awesome because it is an exactly equal presentation of our weakness and God's strength. This paradox is one of those things that we'll never wrap our minds around- just HOW strong God is and just HOW frail we are. We need him, and this bridge puts that need very poetically. It also calls attention to all the times God pulls through for us- times when our weakness would have failed, but God never did.

Singing this bridge out loud and proud (is there any other way?) is one of my favorite things to do nowadays. Such an honest cry out for the Help we will always need, and always have... try it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment