Finding how to worship everywhere and every way

Sunday, March 2, 2014

"Open Up Our Eyes"

Yes, worship is more than music. Regardless,  I still love worship music very much, and I'm going to talk about it a lot :). I'll post every now and then when I discover a new song that I fall in love with and want to share with you all. I'll share what I like about the song and any interesting bits of info I have on it.

Right now I'll talk about "Open Up Our Eyes" by Elevation Worship. We played this song tonight. I'll put a video to it at the end of the post so you can listen.

This song came from 2 Kings 6:15-17:

When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city. "Oh, no, my lord! What shall we do?" the servant asked

"Don't be afraid." the prophet answered. "Those who are with us are more than those who are with them."

And Elisha prayed, "Open his eyes, Lord, so that he may see." Then the Lord opened the servant's eyes, and he saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.

The verses of the song are basically bread-and-butter praise, calling God "greater", "stronger," and "mighty."

The chorus is at once a simple reflection of God's goodness ("Your love endures forever") and a prayer that God would open our eyes like Elisha's servant's were: "Open up our eyes, surround us with your light."

The heart of the song is this prayer; the song is asking God to bring us greater awareness of his constant protection and the battles he is fighting for us.

The song's FANTASTIC bridge, "Our God is fighting for us always//We are not alone" echoes Exodus 14:14: The Lord will fight for you; you need only be still. This bridge has basically been "on repeat" in the back of my head since I first heard it. What a great truth to walk through the day with! Whom shall we fear?

Life definitely may be hard or ugly at times, but I am thoroughly convinced that we are constantly being spared even more pain by God's constant providence over us. Perhaps chariots of fire even intervene. This song gives a lot of confidence and strength to my daily life- it's hard to complain about minor obstacles when you have the God of the Universe fighting for you! This song also brings peace, because we don't have to fight, God will do it for us. We can just rest in this hope.

I love this song, and I am going to be carrying it with me for some time. I hope you enjoy it as well.



P.S. I only recently discovered this band, Elevation Worship. They are quite fantastic. Check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment