Finding how to worship everywhere and every way

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Why I Love Worship Music

I wrote a summary of my overall view of worship a couple posts ago, here. To make a very long story very short, worship is anything that makes us less and God greater (John 3:30). We can do everything as an act of worship- in fact, that is how we are called to live (1 Corinthians 10:31). If we seek to worship first, everything "else" follows (Matthew 6:33).

Nice recap! Anyway, I followed this post on worship with two consecutive posts about worship songs, and you might be justified to say, "hey, I thought worship wasn't about music! What's up with that?" And you're right- worship isn't about music. But music, like anything else, can be used to worship God (hence resulting in the common misconception that "worship" and "corporate musical praise" are the same thing), and it is one of my favorite ways. In this post I'll share a couple reasons why.

God created music- that is why it is something so beautiful and so endlessly fascinating. God is a creative God. Once there was a universe without music, and then God came up with the idea. Think about that, huh! Anyway, I believe that God's main purpose in creating music was to glorify himself. (On a related note, God's ultimate purpose in doing everything is to glorify himself- more on that in future posts.)

So I think music that glorifies God is more beautiful and more fascinating than music that doesn't, because it's being used to exactly fulfill its ultimate purpose. We've all probably noticed, at one time or another, that music can communicate things mere words can't- remember, God made it. Music gives us a way to express things to God that we wouldn't be able to without it. And, by the way, while its true that God knows our thoughts, there is always value in expressing them out loud, and at times, out LOUD!

Something particularly beautiful happens when a group of believers gathers together and worships God, and something particularly particularly beautiful happens when that worship involves singing. The community present in a group of Christians praising their Lord and Savior is like none other- congregational singing itself encourages group participation. It's a great way to get a whole group on the same page: to sing something out saying, "we believe this!"

I love worship songs, as you have probably guessed from my previous posts about them. Worship songs can give words to prayers people have but have not enunciated. This happens to me quite a bit, and it's one of my favorite things about worship music. Sometimes I hear a song, and I basically say "MAN, I've been thinking this! But I never said it!... now I can sing it!" Just like God gives us words to speak right when we need them, He tends to give us a song to sing too. He's good, is he not?

Another thing I like about worship through music- hearkening back to Why I Love Rend Collective Experiment here- it's FUN! (Disclaimer: lament and mourning can also be worship- everything can!) God made music something that can fill us with joy time and time again; something to enjoy, play, write, sing, and create. I LOVE playing worship music. It's my absolute favorite thing in the world. I plan on doing a ton of it in college, and if all goes according to plan, make a living out of it. There is, as a general rule, nothing I would rather do in any given slot of free time. I can't say much more than the simple fact: it is fun, people! If singing about God and his awesomeness doesn't bring you joy, you're doing something wrong, because that is some joyous stuff to sing about!

As is already true, this will not be my only post on worship music. I'm sure I'll be able to think up more to say about it. I think about it, listen to it, and play it- well, all the time. So I'll probably blog about it often too. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Always remember it is about true worship first and music second. I'll leave you with these lines that reflect my prayer at every worship night, that behind the music are hearts in honest and unabashed worship:

When the music fades all is stripped away
And I simply come
Longing just to bring something that's of worth 
That will bless Your heart
I'll bring you more than a song 
For a song in itself is not what You have required
You search much deeper within 
Through the way things appear You're looking into my heart

No comments:

Post a Comment